Saturday 23 December 2017

West Wycombe Village

I was walking from  Hughenden Manor country home of the Victorian statesman Benjamin Disraeli to this village about a hour via small forest admiring autumn's colors I was alone there and I didn't know how long I need to walk but I'd love to see this interesting village. I heared about this place from my Friend Nicola. Thanks Nicola to tell me about this place. This place is really charming. I was there too late to feel exactly atmosphere of that but I'm sure I come back soon. I think I took photo for every house there. LOL. Definitely I love this small one street village.
The village of West Wycombe was once owed by the Dashwood family. It was an important coaching stop on the main road between London and Oxford. At its peak, no fewer than seven inns and alehouses thrived in the tiny village. In 1929 the village was bought by the Royal Society of Arts as part of the Society's ‘Campaign for the Preservation of Ancient Cottages’. The National Trust, has maintained the village ever since. The village features many buildings of architectural value which were built between the 16th and 18th centuries. 
[ https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/west-wycombe-park-village-and-hill/features/explore-west-wycombe-village]












 On the imposing Church Hill, junction of the Wye and Saunderton valleys and once home to an Iron Age settlement, stands the striking if not flamboyant Dashwood Mausoleum and Golden Ball.


Uniquely, the village of West Wycombe is owned and maintained by the National Trust, noticeable by the well-preserved facings of original 16th – 18th century buildings lining the High Street. The Traditional Sweet Shop is a popular fixture among the local shops along with The Apple Orchard for its one-of-a-kind gifts and homewares. The Church Loft is the oldest remaining medieval structure in the village; within its bell turret the original clock mechanism dating back to 1668 chimes.
Some of the original timber framing, sourced from local Chiltern woodland, can be seen along this important coaching stop on the historic route to Oxford. No fewer than seven inns and alehouses thrived in a village that had only 67 houses! Today there are three, and notably the George and Dragon offers good ales and pub meals to weary visitors.



































CHARMING VILLAGE

No comments:

Post a Comment